Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Will someone tell me the meaning of the masks worn in the Venus carnival? I don't need HO HO answers. I really

like the masks and wondered the story behind them. Someone out there must have gone to Venus when they were all in their costumes and masks? Walking around. I see a lot have group photos taken. Just wondered. ThanksWill someone tell me the meaning of the masks worn in the Venus carnival? I don't need HO HO answers. I really
I'm guessing that you mean Venice and not Venus.





If so, you'll find there's a lot of information on the internet about the Carnevale in Venice and the masks they wear.





This page: http://www.unspecial.org/uns604/uns_604_F_T22.html has this to say:


The Venetian face masks are the most significant component of the carnival. Venice Carnival masks fall into several categories:


• Commedia dell’Arte masks are based on traditional characters like Harlequin and Pierrot.


• Fantasy masks are figments of the mask maker’s imagination, although they may be inspired by historical designs.


• Traditional Venetian masks such as the white volto half-mask with nose cover and its variants, the “plague doctor’s” mask with its phallic beak. (According to tradition, the beak was intended to protect the wearer from being infected by the plague).





Or, there's a comprehensive article in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_masks





Hope that helps!
  • what is web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment