Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Venitian Masks for art project?

I am looking to buy a blank base for a venetian mask. I have found lots that are very thin plastic but wanted somthing perhaps made from cloth or somthing else sturdy so then perhaps I can wear it. Can anyone sugest anywhere online I could find such a thing?Venitian Masks for art project?
I have made these with my students many times. You will have to make them from paper mache. The easiest way is to use masks already begun as a base and to add the details you wish. go to : http://www.dickblick.com/zz611/98/Venitian Masks for art project?
Hi:





You can make a mask out of paper mache, but in addition, you can create a mold that is more interesting from non-hardening clay, like Roman Plastilina type clay. You can obtain this sculpting type of clay in various sized blocks, you'll probably want at least a 2lb block, and hardnesses, and it very similar to craft non-hardening clay, but the differing hardness helps when you may want to do detailed work. You might want to make sure that you get sulfur free clay, because the sulfur may irritate your skin. You can get this type of clay from a lot of art supply stores and online along with prepared paper mache pulp, or you can make your own out of strips of news paper or pulp, and diluted white glue or a flour solution. I saw an artist on DIY's Craft Lab do this process on one show, DCLB-110, so you might check over there to get a printable project sheet with help.





Some sources for these materials are the Compleat Sculptor, Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama, and Art Supply Warehouse. There are more, but these are the art supply stores that I've used before.





There are any number of approaches you can take, and if you need more help than this, email me at yahoo.com.





Hope this helps, and have fun with your project.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking to either buy or make my own Roman theater mask. Usually the mask is a face copied of the gods/godesses. They were either white or painted gold. Thinking they were made of some clay/ plaster?? I have looked on ebay and other online costume stores with similar masks but more on the venitian style. A great reference to what i am interested in is the masked sene on the latest gladiator series called Spartacus: Blood and Sand... the episode is called, "Behind the Mask." In this episode the great Spartacus is commanded to lay with a politicians wife.... However both masked Domanus (Batiadas' wife) has mis matched dear Llydia ( the generals wife) with Spartacus the verry man that disrespected her husband and is the reason Spartacus is where he is today. This series is a must SEE!!! Any info or ideas for my Roman/ Greek theater mask contact me @ kait.mcaleer@gmail.com Thanx

    ReplyDelete