Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Has Sleep Apnea but is terrified of oxygen and gas masks!!!?

My friend has really bad sleep apnea, and she wants to do something about it, but she is absolutely terrified of oxygen masks, or anything of that sort. what can she do?Has Sleep Apnea but is terrified of oxygen and gas masks!!!?
There are some that are very small - just tubes up the nose. Frankly, I think these would be more uncomfortable than the full nose mask ones, but if she has a phobia about something covering her face, maybe this would be better for her.





Apnea is really hard on your heart. Left untreated, it can take like 20-30 years off of her life. Maybe these facts will influence her to make an effort to overcome her fears?Has Sleep Apnea but is terrified of oxygen and gas masks!!!?
I am clausterphobic and have sleep apnea. I spent a lot of time with the RRT. I sat up and watched TV with the mask close to my face at a low setting. We worked really slow. I have tried all kinds of masks. Some people like the nasal programs. They also make an oral mask. They make dental devices that work for some people.





Visit sleepnet.com for their message boards.





Best wishes.
Ask the Respiratory Therapist who set it up for her. I'm sure he/she's dealt with that problem before. Just call the company who delivered it and ask for the RT to come by and teach you how to use it.Most of the companies have RT's on the staff just for that purpose. He/she can show you what your options are.

No comments:

Post a Comment